On the wallWritten by Admin
New exhibit at Gallery 86
Works from illustrator/painter Mark Menendez and his students will be displayed during a new exhibit running July 30-Aug. 30 at the Haywood County Art Council’s Gallery 86 in Waynesville.
Menendez has been drawing and painting for over 40 years. He has held demonstrations and lectures at universities and art institutions around the South. He also has illustrated over 20 published books, released three self-teaching videos and won numerous awards. In 2010, his oil portrait of his ancestor, Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles, founder of St. Augustine, Fla., was installed in the city at the Mission Nobre de Dios Museum.
Other works from his students include pieces by Kel Tanner, Shary Weckwerth, Henri Proffitt, Penny Wallace, Sandy Lester, Vickie Belcher, Elaine Griffis, Jan Burkhead, Judy Roney and Mollie Weaver.
An artist reception will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 1 at Gallery 86.
Wildlife art display, discussion in Highlands
The Highlands Plateau Audubon Society will host the opening reception and program on wildlife art at 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 4, at the Hudson Library in Highlands.
During the month of August, the Hudson Library, with Highlands Plateau Audubon Society, is hosting a wildlife exhibit entitled “Feathers, Fins and Fur.” The exhibit comprises the art of John Sill, the photography of Ed Boos and the carvings of Bill Cochran.
Penland School of Crafts benefit auction
The Penland School of Crafts 29th Annual Benefit Auction will take place on Aug. 8-9 at the historic campus north of Asheville.
The weekend includes live and silent auctions, music, food, receptions at the Penland Gallery and the studios of Penland’s resident artists, and displays of the donated auction work. Absentee bidding is available.
Weekend tickets are $385, Friday tickets are $225, and Saturday tickets are $275. Absentee bidding is available for a $25 fee, which includes a color catalog. Reservations are required, and the event often sells out. All proceeds benefit Penland’s programs.
• The Junaluska Woman’s Club Creative Endeavors arts and crafts show will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 8-9 in the Harrell Center at Lake Junaluska. Funds from this project are used primarily for scholarships for summer workers. 828.454.9474.
• Sketching workshops with Norma Hendrix will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 5-6 at the Jackson County Public Library in Sylva. This event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Jackson County Public Library. 828.586.2016 or www.fontanalib.org.
• A class on editing digital photos will be held online at 5:45 p.m. Aug. 6 by the Jackson County Public Library. The class will introduce participants to a free online image editing website called Pixlr. Participants will learn to create a collage, resize, crop and apply special effects to images. Free. 828.586.2016 or www.fontanalib.org.
• The Exotic & Popular Body Art of Henna by Mary DeHart Bennett will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 7, at the Macon County Public Library in Franklin. Bennett is from Macon Mehndi Henna Body Art. Attendees will learn about the ‘henna” plant and where it comes from, how it is prepared and applied. www.fontanalib.org.
• The Jackson County Extension and Community Association will host two art programs. The cloth circle flower petals class will be held at 6 p.m. Aug. 5 at the Tuckasegee Wesleyan Church. A potpourri craft project class will be held at 9:30 a.m. Aug. 7 at the ECA center in Sylva. 828.586.4009.
• The Sylva Art Stroll will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8, in downtown. Art showcases and live demonstrations. Participating businesses include Rotunda Gallery, It’s By Nature, Gallery 1, Nichols House, Signature Brew Coffee Company, Guadalupe Café and City Lights Cafe. 828.337.3468.
• There is an open call for artisans at the 5th annual Balsam Crafters Arts & Crafts Show Aug. 30 and Nov. 29 at the Balsam Fire Department. No tent needed. Inside show. 828.226.9352 or 828.269.8604.
• Local potters, Carmen Holland and Lydia Pattillo along with James Payne-Stewart, local stitcher and textile artist will be the featured artists for the month of August at Tunnel Mountain Crafts in Dillsboro. The trio will hold a live demonstration from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2.