Lake Logan offers cool venue for hot raceWritten by Becky Johnson
- Making it matter: the new paradigm behind Haywood’s tourism grants
- Call me maybe: Catchy case of indecision circulating among Waynesville candidates
- Congressional hearing puts spotlight on Operation Something Bruin
- Wrong bear killed by rangers following Smokies attack
- Shining Rock charter announces change in location for coming school year
Triathletes from across the country will descend on Lake Logan in Haywood County Aug. 7 and 8.
The weekend line-up includes two triathlons — one longer and one shorter — with a combo of swimming, biking and running. There is also an aquathlon that skips the bike leg and features only swimming and running.
Lake Logan may be the most beautiful triathlon venue in the country and has helped propel the triathlon to one of the premier races in the Southeast.
There could be as many as 700 racers clogging the roads around Lake Logan Saturday and Sunday mornings. The bike leg for Saturday’s race descends from Lake Logan through Bethel and nearly to Canton before turning around.
The international distance triathlon on Saturday features a one-mile swim, 24-mile bike and 10K run and the sprint distance triathlon on Sunday features a one-third mile swim, a 12-mile bike and a 5K run. The aquathlon will be a one-mile swim followed by a 5K run, also on Sunday.
The event is put on by Glory Hound Events with support from Haywood Regional Health and Fitness Center and Lake Logan Episcopal Center.