On the beatWritten by Admin
Doobies roll into Harrah’s
Legendary rock act The Doobie Brothers will perform at 9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11, at Harrah’s Cherokee.
The Northern California’s four-time Grammy winning group’s sound has become part of America’s musical firmament, sampled on dance records, reinterpreted on “American Idol,” and a fixture on radio formats from Top 40 to classic rock.
With the release of their new record, “Southbound,” a collaboration with the top country stars of today, they are poised to introduce a new generation to their infectious, toe tapping, iconic sing-alongs.
Tickets start at $35.
Chapman to perform in Franklin
Acclaimed Christian musician Steven Curtis Chapman will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 5, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin. Chapman is recognized as one of the most prolific singers in the genre, releasing over 20 albums. Chapman has also won five Grammy awards and 58 Gospel Music Association Dove Awards, more than any other artist in history. Tickets start at $25. www.greatmountainmusic.com or 866.273.4615.
• Andrews Brewing Company will have Mangas Colorado (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 5 and The Dirty Soul Revival (rock/blues) Sept. 12. Shows are $5 and begin at 7 p.m. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• BearWaters Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have SmokeRise at 7 p.m. Sept. 12. www.bwbrewing.com.
• Big Wesser BBQ (Nantahala Outdoor Center) will have Max Gross Weight Sept. 4 and Dr. Paul Constantine 1 p.m. Sept. 5. All shows at 6 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.noc.com.
• Bogart’s (Waynesville) will have live bluegrass/string music with Eddie Rose & Highway 40 Sept. 3 and The Freight Hoppers Sept. 10. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. 828.452.1313.
• Boojum Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have an open mic night at 8:30 p.m. on Mondays in their downtown taproom. Free and open to the public. 828.246.0350 or www.boojumbrewing.com.
• The Bryson City Train Depot “Music in the Mountains” concert series will have The Caribbean Cowboys (rock/reggae) Sept. 5 and Larry Barnett & Friends (bluegrass/Americana) Sept. 12. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Canton Recreation Park will have “Pickin’ in the Park” from 7 to 10 p.m. on Fridays. www.cantonnc.com or 828.648.2363.
• City Lights Café (Sylva) will have Karen “Sugar” Barnes & Dave McGill (Americana/blues) Sept. 12. Free. 828.587.2233 or www.citylightscafe.com.
• Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have The Blue Ribbon Healers (gypsy jazz/swanky-tonk) Sept. 4, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Sept. 5 and 12, and Kevin Lorenz (Americana/jazz) Sept. 11. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Friday Night Live (Highlands) summer concert series will have Southern Highlands (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 4 and Tallulah River Band (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 11. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Steve Goldman & Ed Kelley (Americana/folk) Sept. 4 and The Maggie Valley Band (Americana/folk) 8 p.m. Sept. 5. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Haywood County Arts Council (Waynesville) will host the Junior Appalachian Musicians (JAM) during Art After Dark at 6 p.m. Sept. 4. Free.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night Sept. 2 and 9, a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo Sept. 3 and 10. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• The Maggie Valley Opry House will have legendary banjoist Raymond Fairchild at 8 p.m. nightly through October. Admission is $12. www.raymondfairchild.com or 828.926.9336.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will hold community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 3 and 17. Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. Free. 828.488.3030.
• Mixers Bar & Nightclub (Franklin) will have Longshot (rock) Sept. 5 and Moonshine Creek (rock/country) Sept. 12. All shows begin at 9 p.m. 828.369.9211.
• The “Music on the River” concert series (Cherokee) will have David Lambert Sept. 4, Amazing Grace Ministries Sept. 5 (noon to 6 p.m.) and Sept. 6, and An Evening with Elvis Sept. 5. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. 800.438.1601 or 828.359.6490.
• Nantahala Brewing Company (Bryson City) will have Ogya (soul/Caribbean) Sept. 4, The Dirty Soul Revival (rock/blues) Sept. 5, Shannon Wurst (Americana/folk) Sept. 6, and The Ends (rock/funk) Sept. 11. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have Heidi Holton (blues/folk) Sept. 4, 3 Sum Sept. 5, Rye Baby (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 11 and Ethan Morse & Friends w/James Scott Stambough Sept. 12. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Oconaluftee Visitors Center (Cherokee) will have an old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 5. All skill levels welcomed. www.greatsmokies.com.
• The Pickin’ on the Square (Franklin) summer concert series will have New Bridge (bluegrass) Sept. 5 and Caribbean Cowboys (rock/pop) Sept. 12. Both shows begin at 7:30 p.m. An open mic starts at 6:30 p.m. Free. www.franklinnc.com.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will have Jimandi (folk/rock) every Wednesday at 7 p.m. and a rotating series of local performers on Fridays at 9 p.m. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Saturdays On Pine (Highlands) will host The Charles Walker Band at 6 p.m. Sept. 5 in Kelsey-Hutchinson Park. Free. www.highlandschamber.org.
• The Stompin’ Ground (Maggie Valley) is now open for live mountain music and clogging at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 828.926.1288.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will host Jacob Johnson (folk/funk) at 8 p.m. Sept. 4. Tickets start at $8. www.38main.com.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have James Stinnett (singer-songwriter) Sept. 4 and Ashli Rose (singer-songwriter) Sept. 11. Both shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.246.9230.
• Tuck’s Tap & Grill (Cullowhee) will have DJ X 10 p.m. Sept. 3 and 10, The Freeway Revival (rock/jam) Sept. 12 and Heidi Holton (blues/folk) 11 a.m. Sept. 13.