On the beatWritten by Admin
WCU music faculty present instrumental jazz concert
Guitarist Steve Wohlrab will perform unique jazz instrumentals at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 25, in the Coulter Building at Western North Carolina.
Wohlrab is the associate professor of commercial and electronic music in the Western Carolina University School of Music. Performing with Wohlrab will be drummer Dan Gonko, assistant professor of music, bassist Eliot Wadopian, adjunct member of the music faculty, and special guest pianist Pavel Wlosok, associate professor of music.
The concert will focus on compositions from the early jazz-fusion period of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Drawing upon seldom-heard material from artists such as Chick Corea, Gary Burton, Pat Metheny and Keith Jarrett, the group will explore the improvisations and textures associated with the landmark label ECM. The European record company was associated with a style of music that broke down boundaries between genres such as jazz, classical, rock and folk.
• Jesse Stephens and Jacob Jones & Friends will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 13, in the Community Room of the Jackson County Courthouse in Sylva. The evening will feature an array of bluegrass, gospel and mountain music selections. Free. 828.631.2646.
• Becky Hobbs, Benita Hill and Kacey Jones will perform as part of the Songwriters in the Round series at 6 p.m. Saturday, March 15, at Balsam Mountain Inn. $47 per person, which includes a buffet dinner. www.balsammountaininn.net.
• Eddie Rose & Highway 40 will be performing at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 13, at Bogart’s Restaurant and Tavern in Waynesville. 828.452.1313.
• The Mountain Winds concert will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 18, in the Coulter Building at Western Carolina University. Free. www.wcu.edu.
• Pavel Wlosok will perform at 7 p.m. Friday, March 14, at The Classic Wineseller in Waynesville. $10 minimum purchase on food, drink or merchandise. 828.452.6000.
• Dylan Riddle, Humps & The Blackouts, Dustin Martin & The Ramblers, Ethan Morse, and the Liz Nance Trio will be performing at No Name Sports Pub in Sylva. Riddle will play March 13 and 22, with Humps & The Blackouts March 14, Martin March 15, Morse March 20 and Nance March 21. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Ashli Rose, Ginni McAfee, and Steve Whiddon will perform at the Maggie Valley Rendezvous. Rose will play on March 14 and 21, with McAfee March 28 and Whiddon every Thursday. All shows are free. 828.926.0201 or www.maggievalleyhotel.com.
• Lightning Bugs and Michael Pilgrim will perform as part of the Haywood County Public Libraries “Sunday Concert Series” on Sunday, March 16. Piano-pop group the Lightning Bug will play at the Canton Public Library, with Pilgrim at the Waynesville Public Library. Both shows start at 3 p.m. Free. www.haywoodarts.org.
• Humps & The Blackouts, DJ SideThree, and Owner of the Sun will hit the stage at the Water’n Hole Bar and Grill in Waynesville. Humps & The Blackouts will play March 15, with DJ SideThree March 17 and Owner of the Sun March 22. 828.456.4750.
• WCU’s Got Talent featuring Porch 40 will take place from 7 to 11 p.m. Thursday, March 20, in the UC Central Plaza at Western Carolina University. www.wcu.edu.
• The “Winter Pickin’ in the Armory” will be at 7 p.m. Friday, March 21, at the Canton Armory. The event includes mountain music, vintage country, clogging and dancing. Featured performers will be the Smokey Mountain Stompers and Stoney Creek Cloggers, with live music from the Black Mountain Ramblers. The “pickin’” is every first and third Friday of the month. www.cantonnc.com.
• Joe Cruz, Brad Austin, and The Freestylers will play City Lights Café in Sylva. Cruz will perform on March 14, with Austin March 15 and The Freestylers March 22. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.587.2233 or www.citylightscafe.com.
• A karaoke contest, singer/songwriter open mic, Amos & The Mixx, and The Twisted Trail Band will play Alley Kats Tavern in Waynesville. The five-week cash prize karaoke contest will be at 7 p.m. March 12, with singer/songwriter open mic March 13, Amos & The Mixx March 14 and The Twisted Trail Band March 15. 828.226.7073.
• A drum circle and raw-mazing potluck will be held at 5:30 p.m. Friday, March 14, at the United Universalist Fellowship in Franklin. Bring a dish, as raw as you like, to share. All drummers welcome. 941.894.2898.
• Dylan Riddle, Arnold Hill and the Buchanan Boys will perform at O’Malley’s in Sylva. Riddle plays March 14, with Hill March 15 and the Buchanan Boys March 17. 828.631.0554.
• The Trail Magic No. 7 Release Party will be March 14-15 at Nantahala Brewing Company in Bryson City. The event includes performances by the Liz Nance Trio on March 14 and Soldier’s Heart March 15. Both shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. There will also be brewery events throughout the weekend. www.nantahalabrewing.com.