On the beatWritten by Admin
Celebrate 200 years of saxophone
Saxophonist Ian Jeffress and pianist Lillian Pearson will present a recital as part of the Catamount Concert Series at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, at Western Carolina University.
The recital will kick off a year of celebration of the bicentennial of the birth of Adolphe Sax, the Belgian instrument maker and inventor of the saxophone.
The program will feature a combination of new and historic works for saxophone, focusing on the instrument’s chameleonic character. The program will include Jerome Savari’s “Fantasy on Themes from Freischutz,” which borrows music from Carl Maria von Weber’s groundbreaking Romantic opera in one of the earliest examples of solo music for the saxophone, and Stephen Lias’s “Five Characters from David Copperfield,” which offers a modern, comical view of some of the most famous literary characters of the Victorian period. Other works to be performed are Fernande Decruck’s “Sonata in C#,” Giacinto Scelsi’s “Tre Pezzi” and Barry Cockcroft’s “Ku Ku.”
The Band Perry comes to Harrah’s
Country mega-group The Band Perry will perform at 9 p.m. April 25, at Harrah’s Cherokee.
Since releasing their self-titled debut album in 2010, the group has ascended to the top tier of the country music industry. Fronted by Kimberly Perry and rounded out by her siblings Neil and Reid, the band has had a string of hit singles, including the quadruple-platinum “If I Die Young” (which climbed to No. 1 on Billboard’s Country and AC charts), the platinum “You Lie” and the country No. 1 hit “All Your Life.”
Tickets are $40, $44.50 and $54.50.
800.745.3000 or www.harrahscherokee.com.
• Kevin Costner & Modern West will perform at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, April 24, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin. Tickets are $40, $45 and $50. www.greatmountainmusic.com or 866.273.4615.
• Dulci Ellenberger, Jesse Junior Quartet, Dan Keller and Joe Cruz will perform at The Classic Wineseller in Waynesville. Ellenberger plays April 18, with the Jesse Junior Quartet April 19, Keller April 25 and Cruz April 26. The quartet show will be performed along with a a four-course dinner, at $34.99 per person. All other performances begin at 7 p.m. and are $10 minimum purchase per person. 828.452.6000.
• Southern rockers The Corbitt Brothers Band will perform at 9 p.m. April 25 at Mickey’s Pub in Bryson City. $7. 828.488.9308.
• Chuck Spencer, Brushfire Stankgrass and Amy Lavere & Will Sexton will be performing at No Name Sports Pub in Sylva. Spencer plays April 17, Brushfire Stankgrass performs April 18 and Lavere & Sexton play on April 19 and 20. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Jeremiah Greer and Wyatt Espalin will perform at City Lights Café in Sylva. Greer plays April 18, with Espalin on April 25. 828.587.2233 or www.citylightscafe.com.
• The Imposters and My Highway will perform at O’Malley’s Pub & Grill in Sylva. The Imposters play April 11, with My Highway April 12. All shows begin at 9 p.m. 828.631.0554.
• Martin & Mack and Mile High will perform at the Rendezvous in the Maggie Valley Inn. Martin & Mack play April 18, with Mile High on April 19. Pianist Steve Whiddon also plays every Thursday evening and from noon to 3 p.m. on Sundays. 828.926.0201.
• Singer/songwriter Ryan Oyer will perform at 8 p.m. April 19, at Nantahala Brewing Company in Bryson City. Free. 828.488.2337 or www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• ‘Round The Fire, a comedy show and The Spontaneous Combustion Jam will be at BearWaters Brewing Company in Waynesville. ‘Round The Fire will play April 18, with the comedy show April 19. The jam runs from 8 p.m. to midnight every Monday, with all players welcome. Free. 828.246.0602 or www.bwbrewing.com.
• The Brass Ensembles concert will be held from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Monday, April 21, in the Coulter Building at Western Carolina University. Featuring brass studio and small mixed brass ensembles. www.wcu.edu.
• Josh Wagers & Lee Kram, Johnny Rhea, Craig Summers & Lee Kram, Paul Cataldo and Spanky will perform at Frog Level Brewing Company in Waynesville. Wagers & Kram play April 17, with Rhea April 18, Summers & Kram April 24, Cataldo April 25 and Spanky April 26. Free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Croon & Cadence, The Hermit Kings, Octopus Jones and Caleb Burress will hit the stage at the Water’n Hole Bar and Grill in Waynesville. Croon & Cadence plays April 18, with The Hermit Kings and Octopus Jones April 19 and Burress April 25. All performances begin at 9 p.m. 828.456.4750.