On the wallWritten by Admin
Art exhibits at Canton library
Work by photographer Maureen Simon and painter Bruce Brennan are currently on exhibit through the end of March at the Haywood County Public Library at Canton.
Simon’s photography exhibit shows life on the streets of New Orleans. As she strives to do in all her work, she plays up the people, colors, and beautiful scenes of everyday life through her travels. To learn more about her, visit www.ofifoto.photography.
Brennan‘s work boasts expressionist land and seascapes that capture dawning and setting suns, mountains, and seas. He received his BFA, from the San Francisco Art Institute. His work is in many private collections in the USA and internationally throughout Europe. To learn more about him, visit www.rbrucebrennanfineart.com.
Workshops offered by Dogwood Crafters
The Dogwood Crafters co-op will host two upcoming workshops, which will be held at the Dillsboro Masonic Lodge.
A chair seat weaving and caning will be offered to the public from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 23-24. Well-known artisan and retired Extension Home Economist Junetta Pell will be the instructor. Participants will learn traditional chair seat weaving techniques or the procedure for caning a chair, depending on the type of bottom their chair dictates.
Cost includes a $5 class fee (covering both days) and the price of any materials required to complete the chair seat.
Pottery classes at Folkmoot Center
There will be beginner pottery classes at the Folkmoot Friendship Center in Waynesville. The classes will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Feb. 10, 17 and 24, and March 2, 9, and 16.
Winter term pottery will be taught by artist and entrepreneur Cory Plott of Plottware, specializing in durable artisan pottery. Plott will focus on beginning hand-building techniques in this session. There is a 15-person limit to this course.
The course is $100, which includes materials.
Snowflake, basket-making workshops
There will be two upcoming craft workshops to be held at the Wild Fern Studio in Bryson City.
• The Snowflake Workshop will be from 10 a.m. to noon Feb. 13. Start from scratch, finish up, or hone your skills on the snowflake crafts. $15 with all materials included.
• The Basket-making Workshop will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 20. Make the basket you want, choose the style, etc. $40 with all materials included.
To register, call 828.736.1605.
• The Jackson County Cooperative Extension will be making aprons as part of a community service project for the Appalachian Women’s Museum. The monthly craft club event will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 18, at the extension office in Sylva. Bring your sewing machine and fabric scissors. Lunch and snacks will be provided. 828.586.4009.
• Interior designer Tami Faulkner will give a guest artist lecture at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 18 in the Bardo Arts Center at Western Carolina University. www.wcu.edu.
• A live screening of the National Theatre of London’s production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses will be shown at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 13, at the Highlands Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $22 for adults, $19 for PAC members and free for students. www.highlandspac.org or 828.526.9047.
• A community art group meets at 10 a.m. every Wednesday at the Hudson Library in Highlands. 828.526.3031.
• The films “Spectre-007” (Feb. 11-13, 19), “Mad Max: Fury Road” (Feb. 18) and “Inside Out” (Feb. 20) will be screened at Mad Batter Food & Film in Sylva. Show times are 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. with a special 2 p.m. matinee on Saturdays. Free. www.madbatterfoodandfilm.com.
• Oscar-nominated live action shorts will be shown at 7 p.m. Feb. 10-12, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Feb. 13 and 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. Feb. 14 at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. Oscar-nominated documentary shorts will be shown at 7 p.m. Feb. 16-18, 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Feb. 20 and 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. Feb. 21. There will also be a free screening of the Disney classic “Beauty and the Beast” at noon and 2 p.m. Feb. 13 and 20. www.38main.com.