Sarge’s annual meeting
The Sarge’s Animal Rescue Foundation will hold its annual meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 14, at the Shelton House barn on 49 Shelton Street in Waynesville.
Social activities start with refreshments at 5:30 p.m. with the meeting to follow. Attendees will hear an update from board vice president Jed Lambert on Sarge’s 2017 progress in saving dogs and cats in Haywood County, as well as a report on Sarge’s financials and a preview of events planned for 2018.
The guest speaker will be Doyle Teague, Haywood County director of animal services, who has been instrumental increasing the save rate of animals in the county shelter and helping the county shelter achieve “no kill status,” with a 91 percent live release rate.
Teague will give an update on the new Haywood County Animal Shelter, nearing completion. The meeting will include the election of Sarge’s board members to new terms.
828.246.9050 or visit www.sargeanimals.org. Like Sarge’s on Facebook to see all the happy pet adoption news.
Haywood history speaker series
The popular “Haywood Ramblings” series presented by the Town of Waynesville Historic Preservation Commission will return.
The speaker series will focus on the historic resources and rich heritage of Waynesville and Haywood County. Each event runs from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Town Hall Board Room on Main Street and is free to the public.
• “Prominent Waynesville Families,” presented by Sarah Sloan Kreutziger. Thursday, April 5.
• “History of Main Street, Waynesville,” presented by Alex McKay. Thursday, May 3.
In case of snow, the event will be automatically rescheduled for the second Thursday of the month.
• The High Mountain Squares will host their “Leprechaun & Gold Dance” from 6:15 to 8:45 p.m. Friday, March 16, at the Carpenter Community Building in Franklin. Western Style Square Dancing, main/stream and plus levels. Everyone is welcome. For information, call 828.342.1560 or 828.332.0001 or www.highmountainsquares.com.
• “Laughing Balsam Sangha,” a meeting for Mindfullness in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, meets will meet from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Mondays at 318 Skyland Drive in Sylva. Included are sitting and walking meditation, and Dharma discussion. Free admission. For more information, call 828.335.8210, and “Like” them on Facebook.
• There will be a free wine tasting from 1 to 5 p.m. March 17 and 24 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• A free wine tasting will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. March 17 and 24 at Papou’s Wine Shop in Sylva. www.papouswineshop.com or 828.631.3075.
• Free cooking demonstrations will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Saturdays at Country Traditions in Dillsboro. Watch the demonstrations, eat samples and taste house wines for $3 a glass. All recipes posted online. www.countrytraditionsnc.com.