On the streetWritten by Admin
Mountain Cooking Club in Waynesville
Chef Ricardo Fernandez will be hosting a Mountain Cooking Club class from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 25, at the Folkmoot Friendship Center in Waynesville.
Fernandez was the former co-owner/head chef of Lomo Grill. The classes celebrate local ingredients and seasonal fare. His classes combine his native Argentine cuisine with influences from Spain and Italy, the home of his parents.
The menu for this class will include: caramelized roasted onions, leeks and shallots bisque; cider-braised turkey legs and thighs, roasted Brussels sprouts, apple wood bacon and balsamic glaze; and baked apples with toffee, bourbon, walnuts and maple syrup.
Class fee is $65 plus a $1 Mountain Cooking Club 2016 membership fee. To reserve your space, mail a check (payable to Ricardo Fernandez) to Suzanne Fernandez at 3553 Panther Creek Road, Clyde, North Carolina 28721. Reservations confirmed upon receipt of payment.
Fundraiser for stolen equipment
On March 4, the Waynesville Mountaineers equipment trailer was stolen from Jonathan Valley Elementary School, with around $25,000 worth of materials taken. There will be an equipment fundraiser from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 25, at Elevated Mountain Distilling Company in Maggie Valley.
The barbecue dinner is $10 per plate. There will also be live music, silent auction and free tours of the distillery. Any donations are greatly appreciated. All proceeds go to the kids.
• The Maggie Valley United Methodist Church will hold its eighth annual “Pancake Breakfast” from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 25, in the MVUMC fellowship hall. All-you-can-eat pancakes will be featured, with bacon, sausage, coffee, milk and orange juice. Cost is $8 for adults and $3 for children under 12. Proceeds from this fundraiser will help support MVUMC mission programs and ministries. Tickets will be available at the door and in advance. Call 828.926.9794.
• There will be a free wine tasting from 1 to 5 p.m. March 25 and April 1 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. The will also be a wine pairing dinner with Chef Jackie Blevins ($70 all inclusive, three courses and four wines) 7 p.m. March 30. A “drop-by” wine and craft beer with small plates to order will be from 5 to 8 p.m. March 31. www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• A wine tasting will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. March 25 and April 1 at Papou’s Wine Shop in Sylva. $5 per person. www.papouswineshop.com or 828.586.6300.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host a wine tasting on Wednesdays and a craft beer tasting on Thursdays. Both events run from 4 to 8 p.m. There will also be tapas from 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays. www.classicwineseller.com.
• Free cooking demonstrations will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Saturdays at Country Traditions in Dillsboro. Eat samples and taste house wines for $3 a glass. All recipes posted online. www.countrytraditionsnc.com.