The tract, protected by the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy, includes 4.2 miles of stream corridor, its conservation protecting tributary streams of the French Broad River from pollution. Weaverville purchased the property in 1911 and used it as the sole source of drinking water until 1993, when the source changed to the Ivy River.
The town will continue to own the property and hopes to eventually open it to the public for hiking and birding. The land is less than 1 mile west of the Blue Ridge Parkway at Bull Gap.
A $275,000 N.C. Clean Water Management Trust Fund grant and philanthropic gift from Fred and Alice Stanback made the easement possible, with the town donating a portion of the conservation easement value.