The state’s oldest metal truss bridge will be replaced with a new, $1.7-million bridge built beside the old one.
The truss bridge, which was constructed in 1891, is located over the Pigeon River on Chambers Farm Lane near the intersection of U.S. 276 and N.C. 215 in Haywood County.
A new bridge will be built adjacent to the existing bridge. The existing bridge will be rehabilitated and will remain in service as a bicycle and pedestrian-only bridge.
The rehabilitation work will include sandblasting and repainting the truss structure and replacing components. The bridge will additionally be fitted with taller railings to safely accommodate bicycles and pedestrians. The State Historic Preservation Office and NCDOT’s Historic Architecture Group will be consulted to ensure the original style of the bridge is maintained.
The contract was awarded to R.E. Burns & Sons Co. of Statesville. Work can begin as early as Oct. 31 and is scheduled for completion by Aug. 15, 2013.