Weekly Saturday bird walks will be held by the Highlands Plateau Audubon Society starting in May.
The first Saturday of every month will be geared to beginners, with guidance on the use of binoculars and field guides and an introduction to bird watching generally on the Highlands-Cashiers plateau. Binoculars will be available on loan. Here’s a list of walks and programs:
• May 5: Kick-off walk at The Bascom in Highlands, led by Russ Regnery. Meet in The Bascom parking lot at 7:30 a.m.
• May 8: Birding outing at Southern Highlands Reserve Gardens. Participants need to register in advance by calling 828.743.9670. Meet to carpool at 8 a.m. in Cashiers behind Wendy’s/community center or in Highlands at 7:30 a.m. in The Bascom parking lot.
• May 12: Bird walk at Lonesome Valley in Cashiers with guest leader Curtis Smalling from Audubon N.C. Meet at 8 a.m. near the gate in Lonesome Valley. To carpool, meet at 7:30 a.m. in Highlands in The Bascom parking lot. At 4 p.m. the same day, Smalling will present a program entitled “The Birds of the Highlands Plateau: Amazing Stories from a Remarkable Place” at The Bascom in Highlands.
• May 19: Nature walk to Jones Gap with The Highlands Cashiers Land Trust. Sign up by calling 828.526.9938. Bring $5 for lunch. Meet in The Bascom parking lot at 7:30 a.m. to carpool.
• May 26: Bird walk along Turtle Pond Road in Highlands. Meet in The Bascom parking lot at 7:30 a.m. to carpool.
• May 27: The Bird Barn In Highlands will have guest, Michael Skinner, present a program to the public about Eagles. The program will begin at 1 p.m.