Pumpkin Nut Bread
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon each salt and baking soda
1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon each baking powder, browned allspice and cloves
1/2 cup of softened butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 16-ounce can of pumpkin
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Butter and flour 2 small or 1 large loaf pan
2. In one bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl, mix all wet ingredients.
4. Mix with electric mixer, very well.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
6. Pour in prepared pans.
7. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour to 75 minutes
8. When toothpick comes out dry when poked in middle of pan, it’s done.
Source: Nina Mertens, Franklin, winner of 2006 Franklin Pumpkin Cooking Contest
1 cup pumpkin
1 can condensed milk (fat-free optional)
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
Blend and pour into a pie shell. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 35 minutes.
Source: Sheila Wilkerson, Waynesville