On the beatWritten by Admin
Drum circle, dinner in Franklin
The Drum Circle & Raw-mazing Dinner will be held at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 19 at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Franklin.
Everyone is invited to bring their favorite percussion instrument or use one provided. Gathering begins at 5:30 p.m., with the potluck at 6 p.m. and drumming at 6:30 p.m.
Bryson City community jam
A community music jam will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 18, at the Marianna Black Library in Bryson City.
Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, or anything unplugged, is invited to join. Singers are also welcome to join in, and anyone can just stop by and listen. The jam is facilitated by Larry Barnett of Grampa’s Music in Bryson City. Normally, Larry starts by calling out a tune and its key signature and the group plays it together. Then, everyone in the circle gets a chance to choose a song for the group to play together.
The community jams offer a chance for musicians of all ages and levels of ability to share music they have learned over the years or learn old-time mountain songs. The music jams are offered to the public each first and third Thursday of the month – year round.
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will have The Darren Nicholson Band (bluegrass/Americana) on Dec. 19, Josh Wager (singer/songwriter) Dec. 26 and The Robinsons Dec. 27. All shows begin at 7 p.m. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Classic Wine Seller (Waynesville) will have James Hammel (jazz/pop) at 7 p.m. Dec. 19. $10 minimum purchase. 828.452.6000.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Craig Summers & Lee Kram at 6 p.m. Dec. 18 and 25, Hunter Grigg at 7 p.m. Dec. 19 and Porch 40 (funk/rock) at 7 p.m. Dec. 20. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have the Kittle/Collings Duo (jazz) Dec. 18 and 25, The Brad Boulet & Friends Holiday Show (Americana/bluegrass) Dec. 26, and Sam Stringfield (piano/songwriter) Dec. 27. All shows begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Jackson County Public Library (Sylva) will present the Western Carolina Civic Orchestra during its 4th annual Community Christmas Concert at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 18. There will be an open house at 5 p.m. hosted by the Jackson County Genealogical Society, the Jackson County Historical Association and the Jackson County Arts Council. Free. www.fontanalib.org or 828.586.2016.
• Macon County Community Building (Franklin) will host the High Mountain Squares “Christmas Dance” from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19. Western style square dancing, mainstream and plus levels. New dancers lessons will begin in January. www.highmountainsquares.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have Donna Frost on Dec. 18, Darren & The Buttered Toast (funk/rock) Dec. 19, Natty Love Joys Dec. 20 and If Birds Could Fly (Americana) Dec. 27. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Oconaluftee Visitor Center (Cherokee entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park) will host an old-time music jam session from 1 to 3 p.m. Dec. 20. Bring an acoustic instrument to join in on the fun or just sit and enjoy the music. Free.
• Swain County Visitor Center (Bryson City) will host an outdoor Christmas concert at 6 p.m. Dec. 20. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have Joshua Dead (singer/songwriter) at 9 p.m. Dec. 19 and their 4th anniversary celebration on Dec. 20 with Hunter Grigg from 1 to 4 p.m. and ‘Round the Fire from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m.