On the beatWritten by Admin
Goforth to bring bluegrass to WCU
Acclaimed bluegrass musician Josh Goforth will perform as part of the First Thursday concert series at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 5, in the Mountain Heritage Center at Western Carolina University.
On top of coming from a long line of mountain pickers, Goforth is more recently known for his collaborations with musician/historian David Holt. The concert will last an hour and will be followed by an open jam session during which traditional musicians of all skill levels are invited to participate.
The First Thursday series of concerts and open jams include some of the region’s best old-time and bluegrass musicians. The events align with “North Carolina: Our State, Our Time” programs given across WCU that explore historical, social and cultural impacts that have shaped the state.
• Balsam Mountain Inn will have Annie Sellick & The Hot Club of Nashville as part of its Songwriters in the Round series at 6 p.m. Feb. 28. $47 per person, which includes a buffet dinner. 828.456.9498
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will have Dave Desmelick (singer-songwriter) at 7 p.m. Feb. 27, a comedy show 9 p.m. Feb. 28, Through The Hills (Americana/folk) 7 p.m. March 6 and Joshua Dean Acoustically (singer-songwriter) 8 p.m. March 7. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Canton Armory will have the Black Mountain Ramblers, Smoky Mountain Stompers and Southern Mountain Fire as part of their “Pickin’ in the Armory” series at 7 p.m. March 6. www.cantonnc.com.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Craig Summers & Lee Kram at 6 p.m. Feb. 26 and March 5, and Ben Wilson 7 p.m. Feb. 28. Free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night on Feb. 25 and March 4, and a jazz night Feb. 26 and March 5. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have Dulci Ellenberger (singer-songwriter) Feb. 27, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Feb. 28 and March 7, and Sheila Gordon (piano/jazz) March 6.. All shows begin at 7 p.m. $10 minimum purchase. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have Porch 40 (funk/rock) Feb. 26 and PMA (rock/funk) with Darren & The Buttered Toast (funk/soul) Feb. 27. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Oconaluftee Visitors Center (Cherokee) will have an old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. March 7. All skill levels welcomed.
• Rathskeller Coffee Haus and Pub (Franklin) will have Pam McCall Feb. 27, The Old Hippie Band March 6 and Nick Prestia March 7. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.rathskellerfranklin.com or 828.369.6796.
• Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts (Franklin) will have Mark Lowry & The Martins (gospel) at 7:30 p.m. March 6. Tickets start at $20. 866.273.4615 or www.greatmountainmusic.com.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will have an Productive Paranoia (Americana/bluegrass) Feb. 26 (tickets cost $5 in advance, $8 at the door) and Darren Nicholson Band (Americana/bluegrass) March 5 (tickets cost $12 in advance, $15 at the door). All events begin at 7:30 p.m. www.38main.com or call 828.283.0079.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have James Stinnet (singer-songwriter) at 8 p.m. Feb. 27. Free.
• Tuck’s Tap & Grille (Cullowhee) will have DJ A-Minor Feb. 26, Nomadic (jam/funk) Feb. 27 and The Burnin’ Hermans (rock/funk) Feb. 28. All shows begin at 10 p.m.
• Water’n Hole Bar & Grille (Waynesville) will have Rye Baby (Americana/folk) at 10 p.m. Feb. 27.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will present a Faculty Woodwind Recital on Feb. 27 in the Coulter Building. There will also be a Symphony Band concert March 3 and Mountain Winds concert March 4 in the Bardo Arts Center. All shows begin at 7:30 p.m. www.wcu.edu.