On the beatWritten by Admin
Bryson City community jam
A community music jam will be held from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, at the Marianna Black Library in Bryson City.
Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. The jam is facilitated by Larry Barnett of Grampa’s Music in Bryson City. Normally, Larry starts by calling out a tune and its key signature and the group plays it together. Then, everyone in the circle gets a chance to choose a song for the group to play together.
The community jams offer a chance for musicians of all ages and levels of ability to share music they have learned over the years or learn old-time mountain songs. The music jams are offered to the public each first and third Thursday of the month, year round.
• Grand Ol’ Uproar, Bourbon Legend and Metal Night (feat. Amnesis, Hope Sets Sail, Slaves of Conscience) will perform at No Name Sports Pub in Sylva. Grand Ol’ Uproar plays Nov. 20-21, with Bourbon Legend Nov. 22 and Metal Night Nov. 29. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m., with Sunday performances from 5 to 8 p.m. Free. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• An open mic jam will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. Sign ups begin at 6 p.m. www.38main.com.
• The Smoky Mountain Christmas Choir will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 29, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin. Local choirs perform their favorite arrangements. $5 suggested donation. www.greatmountainmusic.com.
• Dulci Ellenberger (folk/pop), Mike Pilgrim & Friends (gypsy jazz) and Joe Cruz (piano/pop) will perform at The Classic Wine Seller in Waynesville. Ellenberger plays Nov. 21, with Pilgrim Nov. 28 and Cruz Nov. 29. Shows begin at 7 p.m. $10 minimum purchase. 828.452.6000.
• Josh Wager (singer-songwriter) and Steve Wearns (singer-songwriter) will hit the stage at BearWaters Brewing Company in Waynesville. Wager plays Nov. 22, with Wearns Nov. 29. Both shows start at 7 p.m. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Craig Summers & Lee Kram will perform at 6 p.m. Nov. 20 and 27 at Frog Level Brewing Company in Waynesville. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Kevin Fuller (folk/rock) and Joshua Dean Wager (singer-songwriter) will perform at Tipping Point Brewing in Waynesville. Fuller plays Nov. 21, with Wagers Nov. 28. Shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. www.tippingpointtavern.com.
• Bourbon Legend (ukulele rock), Grand Ole Uproar (hippie tonk), Hometown Holiday Jam & Food Drive with Soldier’s Heart, and Tonology will perform at the Water’n Hole Bar & Grille in Waynesville. Bourbon Legend plays Nov. 21, with Grand Ole Uproar Nov. 22, Soldier’s Heart Nov. 28 and Tonology Nov. 29 (no cover). Shows begin at 9 p.m. and are $5 unless otherwise noted.