On the wallWritten by Admin
Folk art talk to be held in Macon
A Folk & Outsider Art Talk and reception will be held from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday, July 30, at the Macon County Public Library in Franklin. Learn about area artists and collectors as they discuss the folk art movement. 828.524.3600 or www.fontanalib.org.
Smythe to exhibit at Gallery One
Sylva painter James Smythe will have a showcase of his work through Aug. 22 at Gallery One in downtown Sylva. Smythe won the Strathmore Award in the “N.C. Statewide Pastel Exhibition: On Common Ground” this spring in Greensboro. He also had a pastel painting recently accepted in the all media national exhibition Sand, Sea & Sky at the Cecil Byrne Gallery in Charleston.
Want to create your own comic book?
The “Summer Reading Program” will continue with a comic book workshop at the Marianna Black Library in Bryson City.
Classes will be third to fifth grade on Monday, July 27, and kindergarten through second grade Tuesday, July 28. Both events are at 11 a.m. The Superhero Showdown will also be at 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 1. Come ready to exercise your superpowers and enjoy lots of fun activities. Professor Whizpop will present his “Zero to Hero” program. See the professor defeat an evil super villain and turn the audience into a squad of super readers.
• An art class will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, July 23, at the Sapphire Valley Community Center. Watercolor, acrylic and oil. $45 per person. 828.743.7663.
• The “Come Paint with Charles Kidz Program” will be at 4 p.m. July 23 and 30 at the Charles Heath Gallery in Bryson City. $20 per child. Materials and snacks included. 828.538.2054.
• A bonsai workshop will be held at 10 a.m. July 29 at Wild Fern Studios in Bryson City. Instructor will be Karen Taylor of Taylor’s Greenhouse. $20 per person. 828.736.1605.
• “Ex Machina” (July 23), “Divergent” (July 24), “Legend” (July 25), Serena” (July 30) and “Home” (July 31-Aug. 1) will be screened at Mad Batter Food & Film in Sylva. Show times are 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, with a 2 p.m. matinee also on Saturday. Free. www.madbatterfoodandfilm.com.
• The Highlands Road Gem Show will be July 22-26 at the U.S. 441 by-pass and Highlands Road in Franklin. www.highlandschamber.org.
• The film “Hot Pursuit” will be screened at 9 p.m. Wednesday, July 22, in the Central Plaza at Western Carolina University. “Mad Max: Fury Road” will be the July 29 film. Rain location is the UC Theater. www.wcu.edu.
• “Monty Python — The Holy Grail” will be screened at 9:30 p.m. July 25, 31 and Aug. 1 at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. A free showing of “Annie” will be at noon and 2:30 p.m. July 25. www.38main.com or call 828.283.0079.
• “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” will be screened at 8:30 p.m. July 24 at the corner of Everett and Mitchell streets in Bryson City. Free. 828.488.3681.
• The “Secret Agent” theme will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. July 28 and 30 at the Canton pool. Normal hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Saturday and 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $3. 828.648.2363.
• The Mountain Street Dance will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, July 24, in front of the Historic Courthouse in downtown Waynesville. Mountain music and clogging, with instruction offered. Free. www.downtownwaynesville.com.
• The “Art Uncorked” paint and wine-tasting event will be held at 5:30 p.m. July 31 at the Charles Heath Gallery in Bryson City. $35 per person, which includes all materials, hor d’oeuvres and wine. 828.538.2054.