On the streetWritten by Admin
Remembrance of Victoria Casey McDonald
The Jackson County Public Library will host “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, in the Community Room in Sylva.
“Will the Circle Be Unbroken” celebrates Black History Month in Jackson County and serves as a tribute to the life and legacy of Victoria Casey McDonald. The event will include musical guests, a Story Circle of shared memories featured friends, family and former students, moderated by Marie T. Cochran.
This event is co-sponsored by Survival Pride Clothing, the Affrilachian Artist Project, and the Jackson County Public Library.
Do you like chocolate and beer?
There will be a “Chocolate & Bier Pairing” from 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, at Heinzelmännchen Brewery in Sylva.
Six samples of Heinzelmännchen Biers and six delectable chocolates from Baxley's.
Tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door and can be purchased at either business. Cash or check only. $5 of each ticket will go to The Community Table, a nonprofit that provides nutritious meals to neighbors in need in a welcoming environment.
828.631.4466 or 828.631.3379.
Cashiers Chocolate Cook-Off
The sixth annual Chocolate Cook-Off will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, at the Albert Carlton Library in Cashiers.
Those who cannot attend are welcome to make a dessert to be auctioned off during this event.
The event is put together by the Friends of the Albert Carlton Cashiers Library.
828.743.0489 or 828.743.5940.
• The Balsam Mountain Inn will host a “Valentine’s Package” through Feb. 28. Add a candlelit dinner for two, fresh flowers, champagne, souvenir flutes and freshly baked cookies for an additional $125 to the room rate. To reserve, 800.224.9498.
• A wine tasting will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Feb. 18 and 25 at Papou’s Wine Shop in Sylva. $5 per person. There will also be a Spanish wine dinner with Chef Jackie Blevins at 7 p.m. Feb. 23 ($70 per person, three courses and three wines) and a “pop-in” small plate and wine evening from 5 to 8 p.m. Feb. 24. www.papouswineshop.com or 828.586.6300.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host a wine tasting on Wednesdays and a craft beer tasting on Thursdays. Both events run from 4 to 8 p.m. There will also be tapas from 2 to 5 p.m. on Saturdays. www.classicwineseller.com.
• Free cooking demonstrations will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Saturdays at Country Traditions in Dillsboro. Watch the demonstrations, eat samples and taste house wines for $3 a glass. All recipes posted online. www.countrytraditionsnc.com.
• A free wine tasting will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Feb. 18 and 25 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• The High Mountain Squares will host their "Mardi Gras Dance" from 6:15 to 8:45 p.m. Friday, Feb. 17, at the Memorial United Methodist Church in Franklin. Dr. Jim Duncan from Otto will be the caller. Western Style Square Dancing, main/stream and plus levels. New dancers lessons will begin March 6. Everyone is welcome. For information, call 828.342.1560, 828.332.0001 or www.highmountainsquares.com.