The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most recover without treatment. However, in some persons, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized.
What causes it?
- Eating raw or undercooked eggs, poultry or meat. Not washing produce before consumption.
- Drinking raw milk.
- Drinking water than has not been tested or treated.
- Not washing hands after handling reptiles like lizards, turtles and snakes.
- Not washing hands after handling live chickens or ducks.
- Coming in contact with feces of animals and not washing hands before eating.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian