On the beatWritten by Admin
Chapman to perform in Franklin
Acclaimed Christian musician Steven Curtis Chapman will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 5, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin. Chapman is recognized as one of the most prolific singers in the genre, releasing over 20 albums. Chapman has also won five Grammy awards and 58 Gospel Music Association Dove Awards, more than any other artist in history. Tickets start at $25. www.greatmountainmusic.com or 866.273.4615.
Faculty Showcase Recital at WCU
Western Carolina University’s School of Music begins its 2015-16 recital series with the Faculty Showcase Recital at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 1, in the recital hall of the Coulter Building.
Faculty members participating include Ian Jeffress on saxophone performing with Lyn Burkett on piano in Baljinder Sekhon’s “Gradient”; Mario Gaetano on vibraphone performing “Three Pieces for Vibraphone” by Gitta Steiner and “With a Mazy Motion” by Tim Huesgen; and Eldred Spell on flute with Lillian Pearson on piano performing Phillippe Gaubert’s “Nocturne et Allegro Scherzando.”
Also performing will be the Smoky Mountain Brass Quintet playing “Vuelta del Fuega” by Kevin McKee; Lillian Pearson on solo piano performing “Nocturne No. 6” by Gabriel Faure; Travis Bennett on horn performing J.S. Bach’s “Suite 5” and a faculty trio of Will Peebles on bassoon, Shannon Thompson on clarinet and Burkett on piano playing Beethoven’s “Trio in Bb Major, Op. 11.”
John West, director of the School of Music, will present two awards at intermission — the Distinguished Service award presented to Robert Holquist, and the Distinguished Alumni award to Janis Bryant.
Admission is free.
• Andrews Brewing Company will have Troy Underwood (Americana, free) 6 p.m. Aug. 28, The Travers Brothership (rock/soul, $5) 7 p.m. Aug. 29 and Mangas Colorado (Americana/bluegrass, $5) 7 p.m. Sept. 5. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• BearWaters Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have SmokeRise at 7 p.m. Sept. 12. www.bwbrewing.com.
• Big Wesser BBQ (Nantahala Outdoor Center) will have Natti Love Joys (reggae/roots) Aug. 28, The Whiskey Sticks (rock) Aug. 29, Max Gross Weight Sept. 4 and Dr. Paul Constantine 1 p.m. Sept. 5. All shows at 6 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.noc.com.
• Bogart’s (Waynesville) will have live bluegrass/string music with Eddie Rose & Highway 40 Aug. 27 and Sept. 3. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. 828.452.1313.
• Boojum Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have an open mic night at 8:30 p.m. on Mondays in their downtown taproom. Free and open to the public. 828.246.0350 or www.boojumbrewing.com.
• The Bryson City Train Depot “Music in the Mountains” concert series will have Lois Hornbostel & Ehukai Teves (Americana/bluegrass) Aug. 29 and The Caribbean Cowboys (rock/reggae) Sept. 5. All shows are free and begin at 6:30 p.m. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Canton Recreation Park will have “Pickin’ in the Park” from 7 to 10 p.m. on Fridays. www.cantonnc.com or 828.648.2363.
• Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have Sheila Gordon (piano/Bonnie Raitt tribute) Aug. 28, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Aug. 29 and Sept. 5, and The Blue Ribbon Healers (gypsy jazz/swanky-tonk) Sept. 4. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• The Concerts on the Creek (Sylva) series at Bridge Park Pavilion will have Unspoken Tradition (Americana/bluegrass) at 7 p.m. Aug. 28. Free. www.mountainlovers.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge will have Frank Lee (Americana/bluegrass) Aug. 27 and 29. All shows begin at 7 p.m. 828.488.8898.
• Evolution Wine Kitchen (Sylva) will have Karen “Sugar” Barnes & Dave McGill (Americana/blues) Aug. 29. Free. 828.631.9856 or www.evolutionwinekitchen.com.
• Friday Night Live (Highlands) summer concert series will have Macon Grass Band (bluegrass) Aug. 28 and Southern Highlands (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 4. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Ginny McFee (Americana/folk) Aug. 29, Steve Goldman & Ed Kelley (Americana/folk) Sept. 4 and The Maggie Valley Band (Americana/folk) 8 p.m. Sept. 5. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Groovin’ on the Green (Cashiers) summer concert series on the Village Commons will have Rockelle Scott & Friends (jazz) 6:30 p.m. Aug. 28. Free. www.visitcashiersvalley.com.
• Haywood County Arts Council (Waynesville) will host the Junior Appalachian Musicians (JAM) during Art After Dark at 6 p.m. Sept. 4. Free.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night Aug. 26 and Sept. 2, a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo Aug. 27 and Sept. 3. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will have Frogtown Four (Americana) at 8 p.m. Aug. 28. 828.369.5299 or www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• The Maggie Valley Opry House will have legendary banjoist Raymond Fairchild at 8 p.m. nightly through October. Admission is $12. www.raymondfairchild.com or 828.926.9336.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will hold community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 3. Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. Free. 828.488.3030.
• The “Music on the River” concert series (Cherokee) will have David Lambert Aug. 28 and Sept. 4, A36 Band Aug. 29, Amazing Grace Ministries Sept. 5 (noon to 6 p.m.) and Sept. 6, and An Evening with Elvis Sept. 5. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. unless otherwise noted. 800.438.1601 or 828.359.6490.
• Nantahala Brewing Company (Bryson City) will have Shane Meade & The Sound (Americana/soul) Aug. 28, Plank Eye Peggy (rock) Aug. 29, Ogya (soul/Caribbean) Sept. 4, The Dirty Soul Revival (rock/blues) Sept. 5 and Shannon Wurst (Americana/folk) Sept. 6. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have S.S. Web (roots) Aug. 28, Sugar Lime Blue (roots/rock) Aug. 29 and Chris Williams (singer-songwriter) Aug. 31. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Oconaluftee Visitors Center (Cherokee) will have an old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 5. All skill levels welcomed. www.greatsmokies.com.
• O’Malley’s Pub & Grill will have karaoke with Chris Aug. 28 and Heidi Holton (Americana/blues) 2 p.m. Aug. 30. All shows begin at 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.facebook.com/omalleysofsylva or 828.631.0554.
• Papertown Country Music & Dance Parlor (Canton) will have live music and dancing from 7 to 10 p.m. on Saturdays. Admission is $8. 828.736.8925.
• The Pickin’ on the Square (Franklin) summer concert series will have Tugelo Holler (bluegrass) Aug. 29 and New Bridge (bluegrass) Sept. 5. Both shows begin at 7:30 p.m. An open mic starts at 6:30 p.m. Free. www.franklinnc.com.
• Pub 319 (Waynesville) will have Through the Hills (Americana/bluegrass) Aug. 28 and Heidi Holton (Americana/blues) Aug. 29. All shows begin at 9 p.m. www.pub319.com.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will have Jimandi (folk/rock) every Wednesday at 7 p.m. and a rotating series of local performers on Fridays at 9 p.m. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Saturdays On Pine (Highlands) will host The Charles Walker Band at 6 p.m. Sept. 5 in Kelsey-Hutchinson Park. Free. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Stecoah Valley Center (Robbinsville) will have The Kruger Brothers (Americana/bluegrass, $25 for adults, $10 for grades K-12) 7:30 p.m. Aug. 29. Dinner served at 6 p.m. www.stecoahvalleycenter.com.
• The Stompin’ Ground (Maggie Valley) is now open for live mountain music and clogging at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 828.926.1288.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will host Jacob Johnson (folk/funk) at 8 p.m. Sept. 4. Tickets start at $8. www.38main.com.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have ‘Round the Fire (Grateful Dead tribute) 8:30 p.m. Aug. 28. Free. 828.246.9230 or www.tippingpointtavern.com.
• Tuck’s Tap & Grill (Cullowhee) will have DJ X 10 p.m. Aug. 27 and Sept. 3, The Travers Brothership (rock) 9 p.m. Aug. 29 and Hunter Grigg (Americana/folk) 11 a.m. Aug. 30.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will have Sugar Lime Blue (roots/rock) Aug. 28 and Dirty Soul Revival (blues/rock) Aug. 29. All shows begin at 9 p.m.