On the streetWritten by Admin
Nantahala Brewing celebrates birthday
The Nantahala Brewing “7th Anniversary Party” will be held May 19-20 at the brewery in Bryson City.
Live music at 8 p.m. both nights with Frank Lee & Allie Burbrink (bluegrass/ Americana) May 19 and Redleg Husky (Americana) May 20. New beer releases and activities throughout the weekend.
Admission is free. All are welcome.
• Sponsored by Haywood Dance Club, the ballroom dance will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, May 19, at Angie’s Dance Academy in Clyde. Music and dancing begins with beautiful recorded ballroom dance music, fun and fellowship. Free refreshments lasting until 10 p.m. Admission is $10, dress is smart casual. For more information or directions, call 828.734.8726 or 828.734.8063.
• The High Mountain Squares will host its "Military Appreciation Dance” from 6:15 to 8:45 p.m. Friday, May 19, at the Memorial United Methodist Church in Franklin. They will do Western Style Square Dancing, main/stream and plus levels. Everyone is welcome. 828.342.1560 or 828.332.0001.
• FUR of WNC will celebrate the first anniversary of its relocation to the Big Red Barn Trading Post by offering complimentary mimosas to all adult visitors from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, May 20, at the store in Waynesville. The FUR store has a selection of donated new or very gently used household goods and vintage items. New items such as scarves and purses arrive weekly. The proceeds of each sale help to defray the costs of the care of the cats and kittens at the FUR sanctuary. FUR operates a 2600-square-foot sanctuary with over 65 cats at this time. As a 501c3, it runs solely through volunteers and all donations are tax deductible. www.facebook.com/furofwnc or call 844-888-CATS(2287).
• There will be a free wine tasting from 1 to 5 p.m. May 20 and 27 at Bosu’s Wine Shop in Waynesville. www.waynesvillewine.com or 828.452.0120.
• Free cooking demonstrations will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Saturdays at Country Traditions in Dillsboro. Taste house wines for $3 a glass. www.countrytraditionsnc.com.
• The fifth annual Bloemsma Barn event will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday, May 20, in Franklin. A fundraiser for the Smoky Mountain Pregnancy Care Center, the event will have live music, barbecue, silent auction, cornhole, inflatables, and more. Barbecue plate: $15 per person, $45 family plate. Hot dog plate: $7. Tickets available at the door, at the center, and the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce and Franklin Chamber of Commerce.