Buying school supplies for children is becoming increasingly expensive, and some local groups want to help cash-strapped families.
Altrusa International of Waynesville and the Haywood Rotary club will be spearheading a drive to collect school supplies for needy children in Haywood County. The drive will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, August 6, with Altrusa members available at Wal-Mart in Waynesville to accept donations of new school supplies.
This is a tax-free weekend for school-supply shopping.
Haywood Rotary Club members also will be on hand the same day at Wal-Mart to receive donations. Cash donations of any size are welcome to help purchase additional supplies for the children. All supplies and funds collected will be distributed by the Haywood County Schools Foundation to students in need by the start of the school year.
“We are excited to help students in Haywood County begin the new school year with the necessary school supplies to be successful,” said Sarah Wenzel, committee chairman. “Any time that civic organizations and the school system can partner to provide opportunities for children, we need to participate in any way possible.”
The staff at Haywood County Schools specifically requested the following supplies:
• Single-subject notebooks, black/white (marble) bound composition notebooks.
• Backpacks for all ages (not just elementary).
• One inch, three-ring notebooks that are white with clear view pocket on outside.
• Three inch, three-ring notebooks, folders with clasps, glue sticks (not Elmer’s Glue).
• Notebook paper, pencils, black pens, red pens, folders with pockets, round-tip scissors, kindergarten mats, highlighters, colored pencils, pencil pouches, cap/big erasers.
Before or after Aug. 6, donations may be sent or delivered directly to the Haywood County Schools Foundation, (c/o Altrusa/Rotary School Supply Drive) at: 1230 North Main Street, Waynesville NC 28786.