On the wallWritten by Admin
Small works show at Gallery 86
The Haywood County Arts Council’s “It’s a Small, Small Work” will be held Nov. 19-Dec. 27 at Gallery 86 in Waynesville.
The show provides a unique opportunity for budding artists to exhibit their work, as well as the opportunity for more seasoned artists to test their boundaries. All pieces ready to be sold are exactly 12” or smaller, which includes ceramics, paintings, sculpture, jewelry and photography. Most prices will be between $50-$125, with nothing more than $300. An artist reception will be held from 6-9 p.m. Dec. 5, with a “Night Before Christmas” evening from 6-9 p.m. Dec. 13.
This project is supported by the North Carolina Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources.
Want to learn blacksmithing?
An Intermediate Blacksmithing class will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 12-13 at the Jackson County Green Energy Park in Dillsboro.
The course is designed to help beginning blacksmiths move on to more advanced techniques and projects. Students should have taken the Blacksmith Fundamentals class, or already have a basic knowledge of hammer techniques, general shaping/squaring/drawing out, heating, quenching, scrolling, and twisting. Project pieces will include spoons and ladles, simple knives, bells, decorative holders, and more. Students will create as many projects as time allows.
Students must wear closed toe shoes (preferably leather), long pants, and cotton clothing, and should bring a lunch. Cost is $175.
828.631.0271 or www.jcgep.org.
• The Stecoah Artisans Drive About Tour will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 28-29. Attendees visit and explore numerous galleries and artisans. www.stecoahvalleycenter.com.
• A craft fair will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, at the Haywood Regional Health & Fitness Center in Clyde. 828.452.8080.
• The “Frozen Sing-A-Long” will be screened Nov. 28-Dec. 3 at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville. Tickets are $6 per person, $4 for children and $3 for the Saturday matinee. Saturday morning cartoons will also be shown at 11 a.m. For screening times, click on www.38main.com or call 828.283.0079.
• The Balsam Crafters Art & Craft Show will be on Nov. 29 at the Balsam Fire Department. Local artisans. 828.226.9352 or 828.269.8604.
• The annual Jackson County Senior Center Craft Festival will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 5-6 in Sylva. Local crafters and artisans. 828.586.4944.
• A baby quilt-making marathon will be held by the Smoky Mountain Quilters Guild from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Dec. 5-6 at the West Macon Fire Department in Franklin. These quilts go to MPP and Angel Hospital when done. The kits are already cut. Members and nonmembers welcome. Come to sew, trim, or iron for any or all of the day. Bring your sewing machines and any walking feet appliances you may have. Bring a side dish for lunch. 828.349.0883.