Burns prescribed for Nantahala National ForestWritten by Admin
The U.S. Forest Service plans to conduct a series of prescribed burns over the next three to six weeks on about 3,500 acres of the Nantahala Ranger District in the Nantahala National Forest.
The prescribed burn will take place in the following areas:
• Slip Off area, 190 acres, Swain County.
• Rattlesnake Knob area, 248 acres, Macon County.
• Alarka Laurel area, 697 acres, Swain County.
• Dirty John area, 830 acres, Macon County.
• Steeltrap Knob area, 872 acres, Macon County.
• Pine Mtn. area, 704 acres, Macon County.
The dates for each burn will be announced as they are decided and weather permits. The prescribed burns will reduce the amount of fuel on the forest floor, preventing catastrophic wildfire and reducing risks to nearby communities, said forestry officials. www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/home