On the beatWritten by Admin
Sylva gets the blues
Popular blues/folk singer Heidi Holton will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 23, at the Jackson County Public Library in Sylva.
Holton began young, leaving Murphy to play in rock bands in Athens and New Orleans before the blues came a-calling. She studied under the great Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane) and then disappeared to Alaska’s arctic interior to perfect her craft. She has recently moved back to Murphy and is touring around the Southeast.
This program is free and open to the public. The event is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Jackson County Public Library. For more information, call the library at 828.586.2016.
Jackson ‘Pop-Up Play’
The Play Sanctuary's monthly “Pop-Up Play” will be from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 1, at Bridge Park in downtown Sylva.
Local musicians will perform family friendly music throughout the morning. Recycled materials like plastic bottles, beads, and containers will be provided for kids to make and decorate musical instruments. You can also bring instruments from home. Dancing and music making are encouraged for all ages.
The event is free. Rain location is Family Resource Center at 1528 Webster Road.
• Andrews Brewing Company will host Heidi Holton (blues/folk) from 5 to 7 p.m. March 31. All shows are free. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• The Canton Armory will host “Winter Pickin’ in the Armory” at 7 p.m. every first and third Friday of the month. The event includes mountain music, vintage country, clogging and dancing. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free. www.cantonnc.com.
• The Canton Public Library will host The Bull Moose Party (bluegrass) at 3 p.m. April 2. Sponsored by the Friends of the Library and the Haywood County Arts Council. Free.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host Joe Cruz (piano/pop) March 31 and April 8, Dulci Ellenberger & Kevin Williams (piano/guitar) April 1 and James Hammel (singer-songwriter) April 7. All events begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Currahee Brewing (Franklin) will host Doctor Paul April 8. Shows are free and begin at 7:30 p.m. www.curraheebrew.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have music at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.488.8898.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will host Max Gross Weight (classic rock) March 25, Marc Keller (singer-songwriter) March 31 and Heidi Holton (blues/folk) April 1. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Harmons’ Den Bistro (Waynesville) will host singer-songwriter Ashley Heath at 8 p.m. March 25. Dinner, wine and beer available for purchase. $5 cover charge. www.harttheatre.org.
• Heinzelmannchen Brewery (Sylva) will host Henry Wong (singer-songwriter) and a potluck from 6 to 8 p.m. March 23 and 30. www.yourgnometownbrewery.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night March 22 and 29, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo March 23 and 30. All events are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will host Eric Hendrix & Friends March 24 (rock/pop), Soul Rhythms (Latin/soul) March 25 and Troy Underwood (singer-songwriter) March 31. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. 828.349.2337 or www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Heidi Holton (blues/folk) March 24, Sultry Sirens Varietease Show & Dance Party March 25 and Humps & The Blackouts (psychobilly) March 31. All shows are free and begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• O’Malley’s Sports Bar & Grill (Sylva) will host PMA (reggae/rock) April 1. All shows begin at 9 p.m. 828.631.0554.
• The Rathskeller Coffee Haus & Pub (Franklin) will host Gary Carter (singer-songwriter) March 24, Somebody’s Child (Americana) March 25 and DJ Justin Moe 9 p.m. March 31. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.rathskellerfranklin.com.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Jimandi at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays, “Funky Friday” with Bud Davis at 7 p.m. on Fridays and Isaish Breedlove (Americana) at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Sneak E Squirrel Brewing (Sylva) will host Steve Turner (singer-songwriter) March 25 and Red Leg Huskey (Americana) April 1. There will also be line dancing every Friday at 7 p.m. and contra dancing every other Friday at 8 p.m. 828.586.6440.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will host be an “Open Mic” night from 7 to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. All are welcome. 828.283.0079 or www.38main.com.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will host Roshambeaux (rock/Motown) March 25. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m. 828.526.8364 or www.theuglydogpub.com.
• The Water’n Hole Bar & Grill (Waynesville) will host Sultry Sirens Varietease Show & Dance Party March 24, Andrew Rickman (acoustic/rock) March 31 and Humps & The Blackouts (psychobilly) April 1. All shows begin at 9 p.m. 828.456.4750.
• The Waynesville Public Library will host acclaimed pianist Marquita Someliana at 3 p.m. March 25. Free.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will host a Guitar Ensemble Recital 7:30 p.m. March 23, Levi Marenda & Jayna Stachurski Senior Recital 3 p.m. March 25, Michael Fohn Senior Recital 7:30 p.m. March 25, Zach Shatley Senior Recital 3 p.m. March 26, C&E Faculty Recital 7:30 p.m. March 28, Mario Gaetano Percussion Ensemble 7:30 p.m. March 30 and Daniel Myers Senior Recital 6 p.m. April 1 in the Recital Hall of the Coulter Building. There will also be a Clarinet Masterclass with Michael Lowenstern at 3:30 p.m. March 31 in the Choral Room. www.wcu.edu.