On the beatWritten by Admin
Haggard brings honky-tonk to Harrah’s
Legendary country singer Merle Haggard will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, June 6, at Harrah’s Cherokee Event Center.
The word “legend” usually makes an appearance at some point when discussing Haggard. It’s an acknowledgement of his artistry and his standing as “the poet of the common man.” Studying, analyzing and observing the details of life around him, Haggard relays what he sees, hears and feels through his songs.
In addition to 40 No. 1 hits, Haggard has charted scores of Top 10 songs. He has won just about every music award imaginable, both as a performer and as a songwriter, and in 1994 was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
Jazz starlet to hit Strand stage
Soul/jazz musician Shana Tucker will perform at 7:45 p.m. May 30 at The Strand at 38 Main in Waynesville.
Touted by JazzTimes Magazine as “a jazz talent...whose imprint and vitality has already been quite visible in North Carolina,” Tucker is a singer-songwriter and cellist who credits her genre-bending chamber/soul style to the influences of 80s and 90s pop music, movie soundtracks, and world music, interwoven with steady nods to her classical and jazz roots.
Tickets are $30 for adults, $25 students and $15 per child.
• Andrews Brewing Company will have Through the Hills (Americana/bluegrass) May 29, Guy Marshall (Americana/singer-songwriter, $5) May 30, Scott Stambaugh (singer-songwriter) June 5 and The Travers Brothership (rock/blues, $5) June 5. Shows are free, unless otherwise noted. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• BearWaters Brewing (Waynesville) will have Woody Pines (Americana) at 7 p.m. May 30. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Big Wesser BBQ (Nantahala Outdoor Center) will have Heidi Holton (blues/Americana) May 29, The Whiskey Sticks (rock/Americana) May 30, Natty Love Joys (roots/reggae) June 5 and Son’s of Ralph (bluegrass/Americana) June 6. All shows begin at 6 p.m. www.noc.com.
• Bogart’s (Waynesville) will have live bluegrass/string music at 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays. 828.452.1313.
• The Bryson City Train Depot “Music in the Mountains” concert series will have Grits & Soul (Americana/bluegrass) at 6:30 p.m. June 6. Free. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Canton Recreation Park will have “Pickin’ in the Park” from 7 to 10 p.m. on Fridays. www.cantonnc.com or 828.648.2363.
• Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will have Arvie Bennett (Americana/rock) May 29 and Jacob Johnson (folk/funk) May 30. All shows begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• The Concerts on the Creek (Sylva) series at Bridge Park Pavilion will have Sundown (rock) May 29 and Positive Mental Attitude (jam/rock) June 5. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. www.mountainlovers.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have The Ghost Peppers May 30 and Heidi Holton (blues/Americana) June 6. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.488.8898.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will have Chris Minick (singer-songwriter) at 6 p.m. May 28 and June 4 and Stone Crazy at 7 p.m. May 29. All shows are free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night May 27 and June 3, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo May 28 and June 4. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• The Lost Hiker (Highlands) will have Randy Flat May 30. Shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.526.8232 or www.thelosthikerbar.com.
• The Maggie Valley Opry House will have legendary banjoist Raymond Fairchild at 8 p.m. nightly through October. Admission is $12. www.raymondfairchild.com or 828.926.9336.
• The “Music on the River” concert series (Cherokee) will have AM SuperStars May 29, John Emil Montagnino May 30, David Lambert June 5 and A36 Band June 6. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 800.438.1601 or 828.359.6490.
• Nantahala Brewing (Bryson City) will have The Kevin Prater Band (Americana) May 29, Mangas Colorado (Americana/bluegrass) May 30 and Noonday Sun (instrumental/fusion) June 5. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will have Darrin Bradburry Band May 29 and Cross Road Redemption May 30. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• O’Malley’s Pub & Grill will have karaoke with Chris Monteith May 29, Dustin Martin & The Ramblers (Americana) May 30 and Dave Darbbin May 31.
• Oconaluftee Visitors Center (Cherokee) will have an old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. June 6. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Papertown Country Music & Dance Parlor (Canton) will have live music and dancing from 7 to 10 p.m. on Saturdays. Admission is $8. 828.736.8925.
• The “Pickin’ on the Square” (Franklin) summer concert series will have Sundown (rock/Motown) May 30 and Curtis Blackwell & The Dixie Bluegrass Boys June 6. All shows are free and begin at 7:30 p.m. There is also a free open mic jam session at 6:30 p.m. www.franklinnc.com/pickin.
• Rathskeller Coffee Haus & Pub (Franklin) will have Gary Carter on May 30. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.rathskellerfranklin.com.
• Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts (Franklin) will have the Lonesome River Band and Mountain Faith (bluegrass, $22) at 7:30 p.m. May 30 and Ivan Parker (Christian, $15) at 7 p.m. May 31. 866.273.4615 or www.greatmountainmusic.com.
• The Stompin’ Ground (Maggie Valley) is now open for live mountain music and clogging at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 828.926.1288.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will have Shana Tucker (jazz/soul) 7:45 p.m. May 30 (tickets $30 for adults, $25 students, $15 child) and The Snyder Family Band (bluegrass/folk) 7:45 p.m. June 13 (tickets $15 in advance, $18 day of show). www.38main.com or 828.283.0079.
• Tipping Point Brewing (Waynesville) will have Ashli Rose (singer-songwriter) May 29. All shows are free and begin at 9 p.m. www.tippingpointtavern.com.
• Top Rail Writer’s Night Restaurant (Waynesville) is now open. The Cajun/Creole styled eatery will feature an array of local/regional singer-songwriters and other genres on select nights. 828.246.0053 or www.toprailrest.com.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will have Lauren Mitchell (singer-songwriter) June 6. www.theuglydogpub.com.
• Water’n Hole Bar & Grille (Waynesville) will have Dirty Soul Revival (hard rock/blues) on June 5. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m.