On the beatWritten by Admin
Talent sought for HCC concert
A call for Haywood County talent is going out to young singers and musicians between the ages of 16 and 30 who might like to perform at the concert and awareness event “HCC Sings Out!” at noon Oct. 23 at Haywood Community College in Clyde.
This event is part of the Dating Abuse/Domestic Violence Awareness month initiative that is being sponsored by the members of the Haywood County Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault/Elder Abuse Task Force. The afternoon will include positive songs about relationships, speakers sharing their experiences of dating abuse and domestic violence and information for HCC students, teachers and staff as well as the general public.
• Dustin Martin & The Ramblers, Celtic Keg Stand, Porch 40, Sugar Lime Blue and PMA will perform at No Name Sports Pub in Sylva. Martin plays Oct. 2-3, with Celtic Keg Stand Oct. 4, Porch 40 Oct. 9, Sugar Lime Blue Oct. 10 and PMA Oct. 11. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m., with Sunday performances from 5 to 8 p.m. Free. 828.586.2750 or www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Singer-songwriter James Hammel, classic pop-rock pianist Joe Cruz and swing/old-time singer Russ Wilson will perform at The Classic Wineseller in Waynesville. Hammel plays Oct. 3, with Cruz Oct. 4 and Wilson Oct. 11. All shows begin at 7 p.m. $10 minimum purchase. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Gospel group Ernie Haase & Signature Sound will perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin. Tickets are $15, $18 and $24. 866.273.4615 or www.greatmountainmusic.com.
• Newgrass band Mangas Colorado will perform as part of the Music on Tap series at 8 p.m. Oct. 3 at Nantahala Brewing in Bryson City. Free. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• Christian rock singer and American Idol contestant Colton Dixon and Finding Favour will perform at 6 p.m. Oct. 12 at Haywood Community College in Clyde. The show will be hosted by the Cross The Wilderness ministry and the Crestview Baptist Youth Group. General admission is $15, with group tickets $12. A special meet-and-great Gold Circle ticket is $50. www.crossthewilderness.org.
• Octubafest featuring Mike Schallock and Jamie Hafner will be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, in the Coulter Building at Western Carolina University. www.wcu.edu.
• An open jam session will occur from 6:30 to 9 p.m. each Thursday through Dec. 18 at Heinzelmannchen Brewery in Sylva. All skill levels and instruments welcome. 828.631.4466 or www.yourgnometownbrewery.com.
• The Spontaneous CombustJam, rock singer/songwriter Joshua Dean and Dave Desmelik will perform at BearWaters Brewing Company in Waynesville. The jam will be at 8 p.m. Oct. 6, with Dean Oct. 10 and Desmelik Oct. 11. Shows are at 7 p.m. unless otherwise listed. www.bwbrewing.com or 828.246.0602.
• Gospel act Blue Ridge will perform as part of Pickin’ on the Square at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at the gazebo in downtown Franklin. Free. 828.524.2516 or www.franklin-chamber.com.
• Craig Summers & Lee Kram and Celtic rockabilly band Cutthroat Shamrock will perform at Frog Level Brewing Company in Waynesville. Summers & Kram play Oct. 2, with Cutthroat Shamrock at 7 p.m. Oct. 4. All shows begin at 6 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Free. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Pianist/singer Sam Stringfield will perform from 9 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 11, at Innovation Brewing in Sylva. Free. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Old-time/bluegrass act Blue & Larry Barnett and string band Blue Caboose will perform at the Bryson City Train Depot. Blue and Barnett play Oct. 4, with Floor Oct. 11. All shows are free and at 6:30 p.m. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Renowned flutist Elaine Saloio will perform as part of a guest recital at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 9, in the Coulter Building at Western Carolina University.
• Country’s Family Reunion will be held at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 11 at the Smoky Mountain Center for the Performing Arts in Franklin. Country music stars with decades of songs and storytelling. Tickets are $20, $25 and $30. 828.524.1598 or www.greatmountainmusic.com.
• Mountain High Dulcimer Group and Johnny Webb Band will perform as part of the Friday Night Live concert series at Town Square in Highlands. Mountain High Dulcimer Group plays Oct. 3, with Webb Oct. 10. All shows begin at 6 p.m. Free.
• Fall Rocks The Square with C-Squares & Co. at 7 p.m. Oct. 3 at the Franklin Town Square Gazebo. Vintage hits from the 1950s through 1970s. 828.524.7683 or www.franklin-chamber.com
• PMA and Dustin Martin will be at the Water’n Hole Bar & Grill in Waynesville. PMA plays Oct. 3, with Dustin Martin Oct. 4. All shows begin at 9:30 p.m. 828.456.4750.
• A back porch old-time music jam will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center in Cherokee. All welcome to come play or simply sit and listen to sounds of Southern Appalachia.
• The Burns Brothers will be performing at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 7, at the Cowee Farmer’s Market. Location is off N.C. 28 North in Franklin at the Old Cowee School.