On the beatWritten by Admin
Rock out at ‘Groovin’ on the Green’
The “Groovin’ on the Green” concert series will close its summer series with Hurricane Creek (rock/blues) at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2, at The Village Green in Cashiers.
All shows are free and open to the public. www.villagegreencashiersnc.com.
ODB at NOC
The Nantahala Outdoor Center (Bryson City) will host Ol’ Dirty Bathtub (Americana/jam) at 6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 3. Free. www.noc.com.
Benefit performance for Haywood Gleaners
‘Concerts on the Creek’ goes country
The seventh annual “Concerts on the Creek” series will close its summer series with Erica Nicole (country) at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2, at the Bridge Park Pavilion in Sylva.
Concerts are free, with donations accepted. Chairs and blankets are allowed. www.mountainlovers.com or 828.586.2155.
• Andrews Brewing Company will host Liz & AJ Nance (Americana/folk) 6 p.m. Sept. 5 and 10, and Troy Underwood (singer-songwriter) 6 p.m. Sept. 9. There will also be the Fireworks Bluegrass Festival on Sept. 3, with Blue Revue at 1 p.m., Magnolia Justice 3:30 p.m. and Bull Moose Party 6 p.m. All shows are free. www.andrewsbrewing.com.
• BearWaters Brewing Company (Waynesville) will have live music at 6 p.m. Sept. 1. 828.246.0602 or www.bwbrewing.com.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host The Hope Griffin Duo (Americana/pop) Sept. 2, Joe Cruz (piano/pop) Sept. 3 and 10, and Tina & Her Pony (Americana) Sept. 9. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have music at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.488.8898.
• The “Friday Night Live” concert series at the Town Square in Highlands will host Southern Highlands (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 2 and Mountain Dulcimers (bluegrass) Sept. 9. Both shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will host Melissa & The No Request w/Ed Kelley Sept. 3 and Todd Hoke Sept. 10. All shows are free and begin at 7 p.m. 828.454.5664 or www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Harrah’s Cherokee will host legendary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act Lynyrd Skynyrd at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 3. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.harrahscherokee.com.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night Aug. 31 and Sept. 7, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo Sept. 1 and 8, Fin Dog Bluegrass Sept. 3 and Earlaine Sept. 10. All events begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Marianna Black Library (Bryson City) will host a community music jam from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 1. Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. Free. 828.488.3030.
• The Music in the Mountains (Bryson City) concert series will host The Caribbean Cowboys (pop/rock) Sept. 3 and Lois Hornbostel & Ehukai Teves (Celtic/World) Sept. 10. All shows begin at 6:30 p.m. www.greatsmokies.com.
• Nantahala Brewing Company (Bryson City) will host Mike Rhodes Fellowship Sept. 2, The Colby Deitz Band (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 3 and Me & Molly Sept. 9. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.nantahalabrewing.com.
• The Nantahala Outdoor Center (Bryson City) will host Heidi Holton (blues/folk) Sept. 2, Ol’ Dirty Bathtub (Americana/jam) Sept. 3 and Somebody’s Child (Americana) Sept. 4. All shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.noc.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Roots of a Rebellion (reggae/rock) Sept. 3, Viva Le Vox w/Mike Farrington (swing/blues) Sept. 9 and Pony Named Olga w/Trixie Train Wreck (punk/rockabilly) Sept. 10. All shows are free and begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• The Oconaluftee Visitor Center (Cherokee) will host a back porch old-time music jam from 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 3. All are welcome to come play or simply sit and listen to sounds of Southern Appalachia.
• The “Pickin’ On The Square” (Franklin) concert series will continue with Charley Horse (country/swing) Sept. 3 and The Gear Brothers (bluegrass) Sept. 10. All shows are free and begin at 7:30 p.m. A community jam begins at 6:30 p.m. www.franklinnc.com or 828.524.2516.
• The Rathskeller Coffee Haus & Pub (Franklin) will Twelfth Fret (singer-songwriter) Sept. 2, Sweet Charity Sept. 3, Rachel Stewart (singer-songwriter) Sept. 9 and Brother Bluebird (Americana/bluegrass) Sept. 10. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.rathskellerfranklin.com.
• Salty Dog’s (Maggie Valley) will have Karaoke with Jason Wyatt on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with Mile High (rock) at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. Andrew Rickman (rock/acoustic) will also perform on Saturdays. All events begin at 8 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
• Sapphire Mountain Brewing Company (Sapphire) will host a jazz brunch with Tyler Kittle & Friends from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Sundays. 828.743.0220.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Jimandi at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays, “Funky Friday” with Bud Davis at 7 p.m. on Fridays and Isaish Breedlove (Americana) at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• The “Saturday’s on the Pine” concert series at Kelsey Hutchinson Park in Highlands will host The Freeway Revival (jam/rock) Sept. 3. Shows are free and begin at 6 p.m. www.highlandschamber.org.
• The Stompin’ Ground (Maggie Valley) is now open for live mountain music and clogging at 8 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. 828.926.1288.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Cashiers) will host a “Bluegrass Mix-Up” night at 7 p.m. on Thursdays. 828.743.3000.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will host a weekly Appalachian music night from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesdays with Nitrograss. 828.526.8364 or www.theuglydogpub.com.
• The Waynesville Public Library will host Michael Jefry Stevens (classical/piano) at 3 p.m. Sept. 10. Free.
• Western Carolina University (Cullowhee) will host a faculty showcase at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 6 in the Recital Hall of the Coulter Building. Rudy Currence will also perform at 8 p.m. Sept. 7 at the UC Illusions. www.wcu.edu.