On the beatWritten by Admin
HART has the blues
Acoustic blues duo Riyen Roots & Kenny Dore will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 4, at Harmons’ Den Bistro at the Haywood Arts Regional Theatre in Waynesville. The Jane Kramer Duo (singer-songwriter) will perform March 11. Dinner, wine and beer available for purchase. $5 cover charge. www.harttheatre.org.
‘Black and White and Blues’ program
The Swain Arts Center will present Scott Ainslie and Reggie Harris in its program “Black and White and Blues” at 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 5, in Bryson City.
In this varied program, Ainslie and Harris will tour the music of the American South where European and African musical traditions cross-pollinated to create the powerful musical hybrids that have long dominated American popular music.
With a variety of instruments, stories, and song, the duo will explore the Africanization of old-time mountain music and African musical and cultural retentions in the blues, gospel, and work songs of our African American communities.
This program received support from the North Carolina Arts Council, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources, with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Bryson City community jam
A community music jam will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 2, at the Marianna Black Library in Bryson City.
Anyone with a guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer, anything unplugged, are invited to join. Singers are also welcomed to join in or you can just stop by and listen. The jam is facilitated by Larry Barnett of Grampa’s Music in Bryson City.
The music jams are offered to the public each first and third Thursday of the month — year-round. This program received support from the North Carolina Arts Council, an agency funded by the State of North Carolina and the National Endowment of the Arts.
• The Canton Armory will host “Winter Pickin’ in the Armory” at 7 p.m. every first and third Friday of the month. Mountain music, vintage country, clogging and dancing. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free. www.cantonnc.com.
• The Classic Wineseller (Waynesville) will host Dulci Ellenberger (singer-songwriter) March 3 and Joe Cruz (piano/pop) March 4 and 10. There will also be a special dinner evening with The Russ Wilson Duo (jazz/swing) March 11, with tickets $22.99 per person. All events begin at 7 p.m. 828.452.6000 or www.classicwineseller.com.
• Currahee Brewing (Franklin) will host Limited Distance (bluegrass/gospel) at 7:30 p.m. March 4. Free. www.curraheebrew.com.
• Derailed Bar & Lounge (Bryson City) will have music at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. Free. 828.488.8898.
• Frog Level Brewing (Waynesville) will host Darren Nicholson & Caleb Burress (Americana/bluegrass) 7 p.m. March 3 and Good Direction (classic rock) 7 p.m. March 11. All shows are free. www.froglevelbrewing.com.
• Guadalupe Café (Sylva) will host Folks’ Songs (Americana/traditional) from 7 to 9 p.m. March 3 and 10. Free. 828.586.9877.
• Innovation Brewing (Sylva) will have an Open Mic night March 1 and 8, and a jazz night with the Kittle/Collings Duo March 2 and 9. All events are free and begin at 8 p.m. www.innovation-brewing.com.
• Lazy Hiker Brewing (Franklin) will host The Colby Deitz Band (Americana/rock) March 4, Karaoke with T&J March 10 and The Get Right Band (rock/funk) March 11. All shows are free and begin at 8 p.m. 828.349.2337 or www.lazyhikerbrewing.com.
• No Name Sports Pub (Sylva) will host Dead Cat and Bob Fleming & The Drunk Girl Chorus (Americana/roots) March 3, If Birds Could Fly (Americana) March 4, The Orange Constant (rock) March 10 and Swinging Tire Drinking Choir (bluegrass/roots) March 11. All shows are free and begin at 9:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. www.nonamesportspub.com.
• Satulah Mountain Brewing (Highlands) will host “Hoppy Hour” and an open mic with Jimandi at 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays, “Funky Friday” with Bud Davis at 7 p.m. on Fridays and Isaish Breedlove (Americana) at 7 p.m. on Saturdays. 828.482.9794 or www.satulahmountainbrewing.com.
• Sneak E Squirrel Brewing (Sylva) will host line dancing every Friday at 7 p.m. and contra dancing every other Friday at 8 p.m. 828.586.6440.
• Soul Infusion Tea House & Bistro (Sylva) will host Tyler Kittle & Friends (jazz/Americana) from 6 to 8 p.m. March 7. Free. 828.586.1717.
• The Strand at 38 Main (Waynesville) will host an “Open Mic” night from 7 to 9 p.m. on Saturdays. All are welcome. 828.283.0079 or www.38main.com.
• The Ugly Dog Pub (Highlands) will host a weekly Appalachian music night from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. on Wednesdays with Nitrograss. 828.526.8364 or www.theuglydogpub.com.