At our inception 20 years ago, we chose to be different. Unlike other news organizations, we made the decision to provide in-depth, regional reporting free to anyone who wanted access to it. We don’t plan to change that model. Support from our readers will help us maintain and strengthen the editorial independence that is crucial to our mission to help make Western North Carolina a better place to call home. If you are able, please support The Smoky Mountain News.

The Smoky Mountain News is a wholly private corporation. Reader contributions support the journalistic mission of SMN to remain independent. Your support of SMN does not constitute a charitable donation. If you have a question about contributing to SMN, please contact us.

Updating voter registration records

Have you moved, changed your name, mailing address or phone number since you registered to vote in the county, state and national elections? If so, you need to notify your local Board of Elections of your current information. 

Your physical or 911 address is important to determine in what precinct you vote. Updating your information will save time and confusion the next time you go to vote. To update your voter registration information, visit your local Board of Elections or do it online by going to to get the form to complete. This website will also give you the address and phone number of your county Board of Elections office. You can also change your party affiliation this way. 

For more information, call 828.497.9498. 

This information is provided by Indivisible Swain County NC, a dedicated non-partisan group of concerned citizens in Swain County committed to applying peaceful, persistent pressure on government officials for the common good. 

Go to top