Archived News

Permits required for bridge rebuilding

Many smaller, private bridges were damaged in Tropical Storm Fred, and homeowners are understandably anxious to get them replaced. 

Before starting any storm-recovery construction project, including bridges, the first step for homeowners should be to register your loss with FEMA and apply for Individual Assistance. Losses not covered by homeowners/flood insurance may be eligible for FEMA assistance.

Register online at; by phone at 800.621.3362 or TTY 800.462.7585 or download the FEMA app in your favorite app store.

Be sure to call Haywood County Development Services at 828.452.6638 before starting construction to determine which permits will be necessary.

Private bridges that provide access to a single residence may need flood permits. Private bridges that provide access to two or more residences may need flood permits and building permits. More details on the process will be provided by the Development Services staff. 

To learn more about permits and the permitting process, call the Haywood County Development Services office during business hours.

Leave a comment

Smokey Mountain News Logo
Go to top
Payment Information


At our inception 20 years ago, we chose to be different. Unlike other news organizations, we made the decision to provide in-depth, regional reporting free to anyone who wanted access to it. We don’t plan to change that model. Support from our readers will help us maintain and strengthen the editorial independence that is crucial to our mission to help make Western North Carolina a better place to call home. If you are able, please support The Smoky Mountain News.

The Smoky Mountain News is a wholly private corporation. Reader contributions support the journalistic mission of SMN to remain independent. Your support of SMN does not constitute a charitable donation. If you have a question about contributing to SMN, please contact us.