- Find them: Look in the PRODUCE section, FROZEN foods and in the MEAT department for these meat alternatives.
- Labels: One of the things you’ll notice is that these products may sport a variety of different types of wording on labels from “plant-powered” to “plant-based” and from “meat less” to “beef less.”
- Protein: Protein amounts on these products can vary. As their source of protein, these products often use soy protein, pea protein and vital wheat gluten.
- Sodium: The sodium amounts can vary from 200mg to over 400mg. If sodium is a concern for you be sure and check the Nutrition Facts panel. Remember, these products would not need to be seasoned with additional salt.
- Gluten-free: Very few of these products will be appropriate for our gluten-free customers with celiac disease. Be sure and read the ingredients and notice the allergen statement.
- Cost: The price of these items can vary.
- Fat: The amount of fat in these items can be from 4 grams to over 20 grams, depending on the product.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian