If there’s no/you don’t have any:
- Make your own or use mixes on the grocery aisle.
- Look for rolls, loaves and biscuits in the FROZEN food section.
- Look for refrigerated dough tubes for rolls, biscuits, pizza crust and croissants
- Try using tortillas, flatbreads, wraps, or rice cakes instead.
- Farmer Jodi DeHate ( @FarmChicJodi) and Dietitian Holley Grainger recommend using cans of evaporated milk, milk powder or UHT (shelf-stable) milks instead: www.holleygrainger.com/what-are-shelf-stable-milks-and-how-can-i-use-them/
- Look for liquid eggs in the grocery aisle or frozen.
- Young chef @ChefAudreyB says she uses 1/4c plain yogurt to replace eggs in many baking recipes
- Grind 1 TBSP flax seeds, add 3TBSP warm water, whisk & refrigerate for 2 hours” suggests Michelle from @MGFKitchen
- Look for frozen meat/chicken/fish
- Canned meat/chicken/fish
- Substitute beans or tofu or meat alternatives/substitutes in recipes
For more great #SubstituteSuggestions former University of Nebraska-LIncoln Cooperative Extension agent, Alice Henneman,MS RD; https://food.unl.edu/ingredient-substitutions
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian