Did you know that beans count as a vegetable? Beans are also an economical source of protein and fiber. If you're concerned about sodium, buy the low-sodium version or put canned beans in a colander and rinse.
• Garbanzo beans or chickpeas make a great addition to a salad, can be used to make hummus or seasoned or seasoned and roasted in the oven.
• Kidney beans are perfect in chili
• Pinto beans and rice are a tasty combination
• Butter beans or lima beans have a creamy texture and work well in soups and stews and with pasta
• Black beans work well atop rice with salsa and fresh cilantro or in a tortilla or mashed and spread in a quesadilla
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian