- Have them help make up a shopping list at home on a piece of paper, their phone or your phone. Dictate what you need and let them type or write the items in.
- “I spy”. Challenge them to find items that begin with a certain letter, e.g. Find foods or other products that begin with “T”: tomatoes, turkey, tea, towels, tuna…and write those items down on a smart phone or say them out loud.
- Have them weigh items.
- Running total. Have them keep a running total of products on a calculator or a phone.
- For younger children try an “I spy” for certain colors of foods or colors on labels.
- Challenge children to look for specific things on labels …e.g. a cereal with the most fiber; a cereal with the least sugar.
Leah McGrath, RDN, LDN
Ingles Markets Corporate Dietitian